Search Engine Marketing Glossary
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): the entire set of techniques and strategies used to drive traffic to websites online.
- Paid Placement / PPC Advertising: Ads targeted to keyword search results on search engines using programs such as Google AdWords, Yahoo Search Marketing and Microsoft AdCenter.
- Contextually Targeted Ads: Advertisements targeted to the theme of a web page and the copy that appears. Examples include Google’s “AdSense” and Yahoo Search’s “Content Match” programs.
- Organic Search Engine Optimization: The practice of using a range of techniques, including augmenting HTML code, web page copy editing, site navigation, linking campaigns and more, in order to improve how well a site or page gets listed in search engines for particular search topics.
- Web Analytics: A reporting platform and methodologies for measuring the results of any/all of your online marketing campaigns, including search engine marketing, and analyzing those results for purposes of optimization or planning.