Other than the appropriate degrees and experience, a SEM consultant should, minimally meet these qualifications.
- Keep promises
- Be completely honest, even when it hurts.
- Know the best tools and master them.
- Spend most of their time on Search (not other activities such as I.T. support)
- Explain things in plain English, not techno-babble.
- Understand search engine guidelines and rules.
- Give adequate heads up when crisis emerge.
- Not blame others for problems, rather, look for ways to cooperate.
- Maintain knowledge of copyright and trademark issues.
- Maintain a strong professional network in the industry.
- Care about client success now and later.
- Be detail oriented, but keep big picture in mind.
- Offer innovative ideas and techniques
If you’re working with someone who fails in many of these, be aware that there are talented consultants out there you should consider (even if not me!)